Monday, September 28, 2009

I should know better...

Often I find myself thinking... "You knew that wasn't going to work". From time to time I also find myself starting things that I know may not work, but going ahead with them anyhow. I'll cast on, commenting to myself that there's a good chance that what I'm doing is going to end badly.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm careless or horribly inept, I just prefer to be optimistic from time to time and have incredible skills when it comes to blocking out the reasonable part of my psyche that knows damn well that what I've cast on is too small...that the gauge (if I were to take the time to, you know, swatch) will not be correct etc. etc. In fact...when I bought the yarn I knew damn well it was too fine for what I was doing, I knew that just by looking at it but I liked the colours. I got all caught up in the euphoria of it all and the next thing I knew I had four skeins of it wound and was sitting in my living room casting on

Rather than heed my own good advice I soldiered on, telling myself that it might very well work out, that I should trust the creative side of my brain and ignore the rational one. I went so far as to convince myself that it was completely normal for the cuff of a mitten to take more than the length of a movie to complete, that I was simply tired and not knitting as purposefully as I usually do. Then I started the charts...enough of the charts that another movie was watched in its entirety. Then I came to the glaring realization that I was making mittens fit for no adult hand I have ever encountered. This is a pity because I really dearly love the pattern..and the yarn... though they unfortunately were never meant to be involved with each other.

I don't quite have the heart to frog what is done so far and wind it back...I was really quite fond of them up to a certain point. I think we might re-start with a linen stitch something or other (I'm a sucker for punishment).

The fibre content? 50%wool/50%alpaca. The jury's still out on whether or not it can be trusted, though it's 50/50 so I trust the wool will teach it how to behave in a civilized manner... at least that's what I'm hoping.




No comments:

Post a Comment